Old Testament Prophets
The prophets named in the Old Testament are people who have claimed to have been encountered by the supernatural or the divine, an interpreter of the will of God. There are many different prophets whose names are mentioned in the Old Testament.
- Ancient Prophets - The Hebrew Bible (called the Tanakh) records ten ancient prophets
- Patriarchal Prophets - The names of prophets from Adam to Balaam are known as the patriarchs and as such are considered prophets and seers
- Judge Prophets - The are four Judge Prophets who emerged when Israel evolved into a federation of tribes who were ruled by Judges
- The King's Prophets - These are the Old Testament Prophets who guided the following Kings of Israel: Saul, David, Solomon and Rehoboam
- Prophets of Israel and Judah - After the death of King Solomon the kingdom of Israel split into two halves. The Southern Kingdom of Israel, called Judah, had two tribes and the Northern Kingdom of Israel, referred to as Israel, had ten tribes - the prophets of this time were referred to as the Prophets of Israel and the Prophets of Judah
- Captive Prophets - When the Temple of Jerusalem was destroyed the people of Israel were exiled and became captives of the Babylonians - the prophets of this time were referred to as the Captive Prophets
- Prophets of the Return
List of Old Testament Prophets
The names of the Ancient Prophets of the Old Testament are as follows:
The names of the Patriarchal Prophets of the Old Testament are as follows:
The names of the Judge Prophets of the Old Testament are as follows:
The names of the King's Prophets of the Old Testament are as follows:
The names of the Prophets of Israel are as follows:
The names of the Prophets of Judah are as follows:
Oded the Exhorter
The names of the Captive Prophets are as follows:
The names of the Prophets of the Return are as follows:
The Major prophets include all of the following: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Baruch, Ezekiel and Daniel.
The Minor prophets (the Twelve Prophets) include all of the following: Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi.